From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">M.Cooper
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: certification program

Lisa,

There is an attempt to set up a certification programme in Europe under CEN-ISSS but driven by a European Commission funded project “Support-EAM” see: http://www.support-eam.org/supporteam/default.asp

I, and I know other’s, think there are some fundamental problems with such certification programmes for Web accessibility.

For me the big challenges are:

  1. Assuming you take the WAI guidelines as the base line – how do you address the problem that it is possible to conform to these guidelines and still not have a site that is both accessible and usable by people with different types of disability.  To illustrate from my area of work which is educational software/web sites:  An image may have a valid “alt-text” but that “alt-text” may not be appropriate for the pedagogic intent of using that image in that particular context.  Further there are those guidelines that are difficult to make measurable – e.g. Guideline 13. Provide clear navigation mechanisms from WCAG 1.0 or Guideline 2.4 Provide mechanisms to help users find content, orient themselves within it, and navigate through it from WCAG 2.0.  It is perfectly possible to follow these guidelines but do so in a way that is not appropriate for a given context e.g. a timed online assessment where the mechanisms provided are too time consuming for a screen-reader user for example.

  1. What are you certifying when looking at large web-sites with frequently changing dynamic content? The navigation as represented on the home page and the content displayed there at the time of testing?

I think there are other issues about the politics of certification and the potential of it to effect the development of real expertise in accessibility based on the understanding of users and their diverse needs and preferences and a reduction in the already meagre use of real user testing but I won’t get onto that soap-box now.

Cheers,

Martyn

Martyn Cooper

Head: Accessibility in Educational Media (AEM) team

Institute of Educational Technology

Open University, UK