-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	European Cycling Research Network
Date: 	Thu, 4 May 2006 16:19:55 +0100
From: 	Dave Horton <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list
CC: 	Paul Rosen <[log in to unmask]>

Hi All

For information, and as I mentioned to people at our recent meeting in
Chester, this is the call for potential partners in a Europe-wide
network of cycling researchers I put out a month or two ago (excuse the
self-promotion - I was trying to sound convincing!). I've had loads of
anything I consider relevant to this group. Hopefully, some of the
people who replied to this call are now on this email group - if so,
welcome!

Ben, I hear you're the new star of Radio 4! Nice one! Cycling researcher
makes national radio!

Dave

Dave Horton is a sociologist based in the Centre for Mobilities Research
(CeMoRe), Department of Sociology, Lancaster University, UK. His overall
research interest centres around cultures of sustainability, those
emerging ways of life compatible with the search for sustainability. His
primary current research interest is cycling. He is a founder member of
the Cycling and Society Research Group.

Recent publications include:

Horton, Dave (2006): ‘Environmentalism and the Bicycle’, /Environmental
Politics/, 15(1): 41-58.

Horton, Dave (2006): 'Demonstrating Environmental Citizenship? A Study
of Everyday Life Among Green Activists', in Derek Bell and Andrew Dobson
(eds), /Environmental Citizenship/, pp. 127-50, Cambridge, MA and
London: MIT Press.

Horton, Dave (2004): 'Local Environmentalism and the Internet',
/Environmental Politics/, 13(4): 735-54.

Horton, Dave (2003): 'Green Distinctions: the Performance of Identity
Among Environmental Activists', in Bronislaw Szerszynski, Wallace Heim
and Claire Waterton (eds), /Nature Performed: Environment, Culture and
Performance/, pp. 63-77, Oxford: Blackwell.

Horton, Dave (2002): 'Lancaster Critical Mass: Does it Exist?', in Chris
Carlsson (ed.), /Critical Mass: Bicycling's Defiant Celebration/, pp.
60-7, Oakland, California: AK Press.

The Cycling and Society Research Group is a network of international,
though predominantly UK-based, scientists with a primary research
interest in cycling. It was formed in 2004 following a symposium at
Lancaster University, ‘Cycling and the Social Sciences’. In 2005, the
group held its second symposium, ‘Culture, Community and Policy -
Cycling in the 21^st Century’, at Cardiff University. The third
symposium will take place at the University of Chester in April 2006.
Papers from the first symposium are among contributions to a forthcoming
collection, /Cycling and Society/ (eds Dave Horton, Paul Rosen and Peter
Cox, Ashgate: Aldershot). The group runs an email discussion list
(http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cycling-and-society.html), and has a
temporary website
(http://www.bolton.ac.uk/staff/jp10/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage).

Dr Horton is keen to contribute to the development of a European network
of cycling research. Against the global context of climate change,
impending peak oil and the urgent need for expansion in sustainable
mobilities, he envisages such a network pursuing a programme of
cross-cultural interdisciplinary research investigating both the current
situation of, and future prospects for, velomobilities across different
societies.

Contact details:

Dr Dave Horton

Visiting Research Fellow

Centre for Mobilities Research

Department of Sociology

Lancaster University

Lancaster

LA1 4YL

UK

Tel. +44(0)1524 845448

Email. [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>