 Cultural Heritage and Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property Rights
Conference

Venue: Burra, South Australia
Dates: 3-5 December 2006
Convenors: Claire Smith and Heather Burke, Department of Archaeology, Flinders
University
Program Chair: Tim Ormsby

This cross-disciplinary international conference will address the history of and
contemporary developments in the intersections between cultural heritage and
cultural and intellectual property rights in Indigenous customary and academic
worlds. Key speakers include Julie Hollowell and George Nicholas, Canada; Maui
Solomon, New Zealand; and Sven Ouzman, South Africa. The conference will be
held in Burra, South Australia, in the traditional country of the Ngadjuri
people. Burra is a significant location for discussion of this topic, since it
was the site where the Burra Charter (the Australia ICOMOS charter for places
of cultural significance) was developed. The significance of this charter is
recognized internationally, and our planned conference also will be addressing
issues of international significance. We expect that selected papers from this
conference will form the core of an edited book.

If you would like to
give a paper at this conference, please contact the Program Chair, Tim Ormsby,
at [log in to unmask] The web site for the conference is:

http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/archaeology/conferences/Burra%202006/Burra_Indigenous_2006.
php
--
Claire Smith
President, World Archaeological Congress

<http://www.flinders.edu.au/wac>