Use of Statistics . . . .
Is this forum now open up to consultants?  I often thought that it was a forum for LA/academics and enforcement officers to discuss professional issues?  I noted your comments that we should not be too harsh in our reply because your consultant read this board.

Ken
-----Original Message-----
From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of David Fountain
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 1:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Use of Statistics . . . .

"Unfortunately a number of the houses didn't get the clean cover in the gardens"

and

"Both the mean and the 95% UCL for all the samples exceeded the SSAC (by a factor of 4)"

So I was surprised when the re-test in the affected gardens resulted in "The developer has considered all the samples a single population and the stats indicate that the 95% UCLs are below the SSAC".  How convenient.

In this somewhat unusual case, I would consider each garden as a separate averaging area.  There's really no excuse for the capping not to have been laid in every garden, and given the salient facts above, you can happily state you have to reason to suspect a problem will be present in SOME of the re-tested areas.

Just remember - 88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot...

Dave Fountain
Contaminated Land Officer
East Staffordshire Borough Council
Tel: 01283 508848