How could it be. Most researchers have affiliation, a career position, or a
husband, or are independently wealthy.

> For most people - particularly those not working on a degree programme
> studying student participants, recruitment is a long, thankless, tiring
and
> often very futile task.  It is very difficult to get people to join in
with
> research.

Then think how much more difficult it is for me. I disagree anyway. For most
researchers it is long and tiring, but not futile, not in the long run.

That's not to say you're not having more problems than most, but
> I wonder if it might help you feel more encouraged as a researcher to know
> that what you're experiencing is similar to what a lot of researchers go
> through?

I have conducted research before. I would be happier if you did not tkae
that condescending attitude. In Canada, doing a MA means to do a proper
piece of research. I interviewed ten women about menopause and wrote a
thesis.

If you feel this isn't the case maybe sharing those thoughts here
> could help others give advice or support (should you wish it).

I can' see that's waht you want me to do.

> In terms of your observation "People aren't interested in people without
> credentials doing research for them, on them, it seems" again I'd wonder
if
> this is always the case?  In my experience (and it is only my experience
so
> may not be representative) often people do not ask about credentials - in
> fact we have to remind people of them.

And I don't have that option - recall Dustin Hoffman as Tootsie. He could
pretend to be a woman, but in a crunch he could always call on that extra
bit of power.

Whilst I agree things like having a
> university logo or other identification *may* encourage responses it could
> equally put people off.  Given the sheer volume of non-academics and
> non-researchers doing their own research on the internet now - it is
> becoming more commonplace for people not to have any academic links,
> background or credentials behind their work.

Agreed. They have wealthy husbands and/or great jobs making films.

That doesn't stop people
> participating, although as mentioned above, not everyone wants to take
part.

> A thing that strikes me is the idea that so many people are doing
'research'
> these days - PR companies, magazines, commercial companies, academic
> institutions (which includes undergraduate, postgraduate, postdoctoral and
> other research) - just to name a few.  Aside from people feeling
suspicious
> about research, there's also a lot out there to choose from.  And it seems
> increasingly if you can't offer incentives to participants they're not
> interested.  So again, that might be another reason for problems with
> recruiting participants.

You're full of excuses. An incentive something like what your group has to
offer? Affiliation?

> I've been struck by many of your postings about how your treatment by your
> university has affected your confidence

Not my confidence. You are mistaken.

as a researcher (and more generally
> as a person).

Not as a person, either.

 I wonder if other people here might have some practical
> suggestions about how to move on from this?

I would think that's not a good idea. I don't expect any understanding.

thanks for trying. I'm sure you';ve made an impact on someone.

Sue McPherson

> bw
> PB
>

> At 17:39 02/05/2006, you wrote:
>
> Regarding David Fryer's message, Michael, no, it didn't escape me that I
had
> not been mentioned.
>
> You mention my research, but it isn't simply that people "are interested"
or
> "not interested."  My past, or should I say, the gap in my cv, and in my
> life, affects the way people respond to me. You may feel "shattered" by
the
> info coming your way, but the stress is probably a good stress.
>
> My life - and my research - may be coming to an end. People aren't
> interested in people without credentials doing research for them, on them,
> it seems, especially if they have no property or man.  I have already
hinted
> at what the university here did for me - destroy my reputation, take away
> any chance at a career and a future of any kind. I feel positivly
> distraught, sometimes, at the realization of what has become of me, and at
> the kind of people that have let this happen. And now, in the community,
it
> is difficult to make friends when one has nothing. You mention gender, and
> feel I must comment on this.
>
> As far as sex is concerned, it is a myth, and always has been, that women
> want sex more than men, or the same as men. Biologically, women are
> different from men. And culturally, their genders. One only has to look at
> the spam (ie. real spam) to see whose interests in sex are being catered
to.
> If women like to act as sluts, or seem to enjoy sex, it is because it is
> that for which they are rewarded, by men, in general. The work that women
do
> in the work place can be done by any man or woman.  But it's women willing
> to put out, or who have the right husband or father who have a better
chance
> at getting ahead.  I didn't know all this before I struck out on my own,
at
> midlife.  When we were young we sort of just fell into marriage.
Afterwards,