From: SMITH, Paula [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Retention of child files

Dear All
A colleague has raised an interesting query with me which I would appreciate your comments on.
We run a children's home for children with severe learning disabilities and as such will keep a case file on each child.
The retention period of these files is 75 years from the child's 18th birthday.  But what happens when a child dies?
The children's home in question would like to destroy these files on the basis that since the child cannot make any claims on the authority, there is no need to retain the files.
I can see their argument but would not think this a defensible position.  All comments welcome
Paula

Note: This E-Mail is intended for the addressee only and may include
confidential information.

Unauthorised recipients are requested to please advise the sender immediately
by telephone and then delete the message without copying or storing it or
disclosing its contents to any other person.

We have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are
transmitted from Cheshire County Council to any third party. Copyright in this
e-mail and attachments created by us unless stated to the contrary belongs to
Cheshire County Council.

Any liability (in negligence or otherwise) arising from any party acting,
or refraining from acting on any information contained in this e mail is
hereby excluded.

Should you communicate with anyone at Cheshire County Council by e-mail,
you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Printing this email? Please think environmentally and only print when essential!

Scanned by The Sheriff - http://www.isheriff.com/