As I have no doubt previously mentioned, I occasionally take care of my
90-year old mom. Even though her 'marbles' have begun to roll, she continues
to lament that she never was able to achieve a dream to become a writer (4
sons, an activist political life, etc.) Since I spent a small chunk of my
life in either directing or teaching in poetry-in-the-schools programs, I
have taken to making up writing exercises for her. Since she can no longer
write well, I take down what she dictates in response to whatever may be our
'starting idea'. Last night I read her short passages form Gertrude Stein's
"Tender Buttons" and then asked for her response:

"A single charm a single charm is doubtful."
What do you think that means, Mom?

"A single charm does not last long."

We then get talking about rhymes.
What rhymes with April, Mom?
She cannot think of anything.
Can you start a sentence with "April?"
"April will break my heart."

Why don't we do all the months like that. Begin with January.
I start to write down one sentence after another:

January will open the horrible threat.
February will break off a few of the wicked.
March the winds will blow and frighten everybody.
April will break my heart.
May will come whisking through.
June is hard to decipher.
July will never stop to say hello.
August is jolly and happy for people like me.
September is hard to take.
October is full of joy for very few.
November marks the worst that could ever come.
December for many it's love and joy
But not for me.

I must say the language brings me frightenly close to her particular
experience of the "end points" of her life. Unlike my dad, who was upbeat
and open to pleasure down to the very end. My mother, on the other hand, who
wants to please her son, thinks she has not well enough, that I am not
pleased.

"I think I am driving you crazy because I cannot take you to a point where
you can tell the reality of what I want to say."

In "reality" I think she - in her versions of the months - has taken me as
close as I want to get. It is so dark. Thank goodness she still has some
language to get to it.

Stephen Vincent