If I may make so bold as to comment on this thread, unclear as some of
it is to me because I've been away for months & missed all the mails
till yesterday: lavender is anti-bacterial and - to quote a useful
website on aromatherapy - "the laborers working in the lavender fields
and gardeners tending herb gardens and tanners and glove-makers who used
essential oils to perfume fine leather escaped from the plague unhurt
while their masters perished! We know what ancestors didn't - these
aromatic plants are all powerful bactericides and that some of them are
also anti-viral agents."  So women who sniffed handkerchiefs impregnated
with lavender oil etc were practising medicine, not just being
"lady-like" or masking smells. I often sniff a combination of lavender,
teetree & eucalyptus to alleviate bronchial and sinusitis problems. As
pharmaceutic companies become more & more overbearing & demanding, we
will all have to learn to make use of herbs etc, even against the
resistance of the medical profession.
Best
Martin

--
M.J.Walker - no blog - no webpage - no idea

Nous ne faisons que nous entregloser. - Montaigne