AHRC Research Training Network in Modern Languages

Postgraduate Study Day:  Memory, Illness and the Body
Friday, 12 May 2006
Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, Stewart House, Room STB03

PROGRAMME

10-10.30		Registration

10.30-12		SCREENING:  Unknown White Male

12-1 Q &A with Producer Beadie Finzi

1-2 Lunch

2-5			STUDENT PRESENTATIONS

2-2.30 Sherah Wells (Warwick)
      'I Dare Say I Shall Coalesce into Some Sort of Human Shape Soon':
  Psychosis and the Female Body in the Texts of Antonia White and Emily Holmes Coleman

2.30-3 Cuneyt Cakirlar (University College London)
[Safe]:  Queering/Abjecting the Body in Todd Haynes's Cinema of Queer Pastiche

3-3.30 Paul Woodward (Royal Holloway)
Performative Memories of the Infected Body

3.30-4 Tea/Coffee

4-4.30 Pauline Eyre (Manchester)
Christa Reinig's Extraordinary Journey: Disability and
Re-membering in die himmlische und die irdische Geometrie

4.30-5 Kim Howey (University College London)
'Le Docteur':  Ezra Pound's Doctor Personae

5 Concluding Remarks

About Unknown White Male

Unknown White Male is a controversial and award-winning documentary about a British man in New York suffering from amnesia. Directed by Rupert Murray, the film follows 37-year-old Doug Bruce as he attempts to piece back his life.  More details about the production can be found at www.unknownwhitemale.co.uk.

How to Register

Although you may register at the study day, we do ask that people register in advance so that we can assure adequate facilities and catering.

Please fill out the PDF registration form (http://igrs.sas.ac.uk/events/PDF_reg_form_cult_mem.pdf)

and send it to: Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU. Or you can contact Rosemary Lambeth ([log in to unmask]) to request a Word version of the same form.

Fees for the Study Day
The study day, including the screening and refreshments, is free for postgraduate students. There are also travel bursaries available to students: forms to apply for reimbursement of travel costs will be available on the day.
For others, the fees will be £25 per day standard; £10 per day for members of the IGRS and staff in IGRS member departments, and concessions (retired, unemployed). Delegates paying at the membership / concessionary rate will be required to show their membership card or other evidence of status when registering.

How to Pay
Payment may be by cash or cheque; please make cheques payable to the 'University of London'. We regret that we are unable to accept credit card payments, other than for advance overseas registrations. Those registering from overseas should email [log in to unmask] so that we can email (or fax or post) a credit card payment form to them.

Dr Ross G Forman
Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies
University of London
Senate House, Malet Street