Actually, if you browse through abebooks.com you will find over 60 copies of
Ballantyne's book. The oldest is from 1868. The same thing comes out of COPAC:

Main Author:	Ballantyne, Robert Michael
Title Details:	Deep down: a tale of the Cornish mines / by R.M. Ballantyne
Publisher:	London : Nisbet, 1868

The people of the german catalogue GBV (gbv.de) gives 1868 as the year of the
first edition.

Omar Escamilla
Acervo Histórico del Palacio de Minería, Mexico