medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

My notes refer to a Passion of St George written by Aelfric, Archbishop
of York in the early eleventh century. I believe I got this from
'Martyrdom in East and West: the Saga of St. George of Nobatia and
England', in D. Wood (ed.) Martyrs and Martyrologies: Studies in Church
History 30 (Oxford, 1993), 47-56; and/or Hill, J. "Aelfric, Gelasius,
and St. George", Mediaevalia 11 (1985), 1-17. Both sources I found on
David Wood's website at http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/grgbibliog.html

I feel sure I read chunks of this Passion, either in one of these
articles or by following a citation in Bengston, J. 'Saint George and
the Formation of English Nationalism', Journal of Medieval and Early
Medieval Studies 27 (1997), 317-40.

But I do note that my article itself referred only to George being known
in England by the c8, but not to the vernacular lives of him mentioned
in the email. I find  that my notes on Anglo-Saxon material are a little
bare:  my focus was very much post-Conquest: it was enough to establish
that the Anglo-Saxons knew of him.  Apart from the mention in passing of
the above passion, I also listed a few other Anglo-Saxon references to
St George cited by Bengston, and that the New Advent website lists
various pre-Conquest English church dedications to him.

I do hope this is of some help.

Jon