Dear Cecilia, et al.

1 Cor. 13.12 does indeed have a central place in both monastic and scholastic speculative theology and becomes a key text for discussion/debate concerning the beatific vision. The speculum in aenigmate is also important for the elaboration of sacramental theology (see for example: Hugh of St Victor, De sacramentis, Bk 1, pars X, cap.ix - PLL, v. 176, 341D-342D et passim). You might also want to check out St. Augustine's discussion of the passage from Cor. in De trinitate 15.9.15, 15.9.16 (here applied to the question of allegory, another frequent use of the passage).

The relevant bibliography on 1. Cor. 13-12 is enormous, but I'm pasting in a few things that I hope may be useful (and will point to further, perhaps more "monastically-focused" bibliography).

Happy hunting!
Aden

Leisegang, Hans. "Die Erkenntnis Gottes im Spiegel der Seele und der Natur." Zeitschrift des für Philosophische Forschung IV, no. 2 (1949): 161-183.

———. "La connaissance de Dieu au miroir de l'âme et de la nature." Revue d'Histoire et de Philosophie religieuses 17, no. 2 (1937): 145-171. [This is substantially the same material as in the German above]

Hamburger, Jeffrey F. "Speculations on Speculation: Vision and Perception in the Theory and Practice of Mystical Devotion." In Deutsche Mystik im abendländischen Zusammenhang: neu erschlossene Texte, neue methodische Ansätze, neue theoretische Konzepte; Kolloquium, Kloster Fischingen 1998, edited by Walter Haug and Wolfram Schneider-Lastin, 351-408. Tübingen: Niemeyer, 2000.

Grabes, Herbert. The mutable glass: mirror-imagery in titles and texts of the Middle Ages and the English Renaissance.             Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1982. [Has very useful "thematic indexing" of different uses of mirror                         metaphor, including Paul's]

Trottmann, Christian. La Vision Béatifique: des Disputes Scolastiques à sa definition par Benoît XII, Bibliotheque des ecoles francaises d'Athenes et de Rome; fasc 289. Rome: École française de Rome, 1995.

Dondaine, H.-F. "L'objet et le <<medium>> de la vision béatifique chez les théologiens du XIIIe siècle." Recherches de théologie ancienne et médiévale XIX (1952): 60-130.

Javelet, Robert. Image et ressemblance au douzième siècle: de Saint Anselme à Alain de Lille. 2 vols. [Strasbourg?]: Éditions Letouzey & Ané, 1967.

Roques, René. "Connaissance de Dieu et théologie symbolique d'après l'In hierarchiam coelestem Sancti Dionysii de Hugues de Saint-Victor." In De la connaissance de Dieu, 187-266. [Paris]: Desclée De Brouwer, 1958.