Jim Bugslag wrote:

> More recently, Philip McAleer has published his Rochester Cathedral,
> 604-1540: An Architectural History (Toronto, 1999), which I haven't had
> the leisure to read yet, but I note that he is somewhat more ascerbic
> about the identity of the chapel than St John Hope, referring to it as
> "the So-Called Lady Chapel".

We may (or may not) learn more about all this when the British
Archaeolological Association Conference  Transactions volume is published
(Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology at Rochester, edited by Tim
Ayers and Tim Tatton-Brown, 2006).  The Maney Publishing website says that
it is "Coming soon".  I can't find my notes, but in any case I was
distracted by operating the projector...  Richard Plant certainly discussed
the crypt (whether 'hotly' or not, I didn't notice!) - I can't remember what
was said about the south transept.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]