At Manchester Libraries, we are considering extending the loan of DVDs and
videos to under 18 borrowers. Up till now our DVD/video collection has
been borrowable only to those over 18.
I would be most grateful if list members could provide me with any
information on their experience of loaning DVDs/videos directly to under
18's, or any thoughts they may have on this issue.

Some points we are considering are:
What charge is made - full cost/concessionary charge/free loan?
Has this resulted in a pronounced effect on the level of income generated?
If items are loaned for free and without a fine/retrospective hire charge,
is your stock returned? What inducement is there for it to be returned? If
no charge is made, have you lost a lot of stock?
If your authority loans these items to under 18's already, what steps have
you taken to ensure your staff do not unwittingly break the law by loaning
a certificated DVD e.g. a certificate 12 to a child under that age?
How do you prevent borrowing by proxy - a younger child borrowing an older
child's ticket to borrow e.g. a certificate 15 title?

I shall publish a summary of all responses received.
Many thanks.

Maeve O'Connor
Sport & Leisure Co-ordinator
3rd Floor
Central Library
St Peter's Square
Manchester M2 5PD
Tel 0161 234 1317
email: [log in to unmask]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Please contact [log in to unmask] with any queries.