From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list on behalf of Sven Morgan
Sent: Wed 19/04/2006 18:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: deep rock core drill

thanks Zoe,

I have collected cores down to 15 cm using the standard paleomag drills (converted petrol powered chain saws), but I want to get deeper.  I have seen a lot of deeper-going equipment from mining equipment websites, but I wanted to know if anyone had done this before me.  Several folks suggested going with a mining/drilling contractor - which I might do.

thanks again,

Sven

[log in to unmask] wrote:

	Hi Sven

	I've used a petrol-powered palaeomag drill  to collect samples from
	sandstones. The longest core we ever managed to get was about 10 cm from a
	more massive sandstone. A major problem in well-bedded sandstones is that
	they tend to shear into little biscuit shaped pieces along the bedding. To
	get cores longer than that the trick is holding the drill still enough so
	you don't shear the core off at the base. The taller and heftier members
	of the field team had more success (i.e. not me!). For over 50 cm you
	might have to design some kind of rig to hold the drill still? And you'd
	need longer coring bits than the standard...
	The drill was petrol-powered and light enough for me to carry in a
	backpack A second person had to carry the water needed to lubricate the
	drill bit.
	I've seen palaeoseimologists use a gadget for very long cores which
	involved jumping up and down on a platform attached to the corer (again,
	hefty folks required) - but that was in loose sediments.
	Good luck!
	Zoe

		well, it depends on the rock type and the diameter of your bit.
		standard 1 inch diameter drillbits, as used for paleomag are about 35cm
		 in length.  with those bits, drilling basalts all the way wouldn't be
		a  problem, sediments are more tricky as well as granites and likewise
		metamorphics.  anyway, a lightweight portable rock drill, running on on
		 two stroke petrol should do the job.  the best bits can be bought here
		 <http://www.marcrist.co.uk/> <http://www.marcrist.co.uk/> .  as far as engines are concerned, try
		ASC  <http://www.ascscientific.com/drills.html> <http://www.ascscientific.com/drills.html> .  alternatively, a
		lighter  and perhaps ergonimically superior model can be found here
		<http://paleomagnetism.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/images/montafon0007.AVI> <http://paleomagnetism.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/images/montafon0007.AVI> .

		Valerian

		Sven Morgan wrote:

			Does anyone have exerience using a portable rock core driller that
			will go approximately 50 cm depth?   And still be able to recover the
			core?  Deeper would be better, but 50 cm is the minimum goal.
			The outcrop is about a mile from the road, so we need to drag the
			equipment, but it is fairly flat terrain.  I would be willing to drag
			or roll out a generator (or have undergraduates do it).
			thanks,

			Sven

		--
		Prof. Dr. Valerian Bachtadse