Peter,

Thanks for those interesting insights; that 30% "walking wounded" figure for workers with back pain certainly hasn't had a whole lot of press!

In the main are these workers who are undergoing rehabilitation or are they sub-clinical?

Would you agree that it would be worrying to see the use of back pain reports as the sole criterion for judging the success or failure for a general manual handling program?

Regards,

David McFarlane

Ergonomist, WorkCover Authority

New South Wales, Australia

Disclaimer

Any recommendation concerning the use or representation of a particular brand of product in this document or any mention of them whatsoever (whether this appears in the text, illustrations, photographs or in any other form) is not to be taken to imply that WorkCover NSW approves or endorses the product or the brand.