To Whom it May Concern

*PRESS RELEASE FROM DISABLED PEOPLE'S ACTION NETWORK:-

Why We Are Going to MP Margaret Hodge's Surgery at 4.00pm on 28th April

Barking Mobility Shop, Sunningdale Ave, is Margaret Hodge's surgery. She
plans to get 1 million people off Incapacity Benefit but has a poor grasp of
the issue. The problem isn't in our attitude towards working, it lies in
employers' reluctance to offer us jobs.

Where are these jobs going to come from?

Why would employers make the reasonable adjustments they need to make to
recruit disabled people?

Will the Government put the money into Access To Work to ensure those
adjustments are made?

If the Government won't find the resources needed

THE PLAN JUST WON'T WORK!

D.A.N. SAYS NO

The Disabled People's Direct Action Network (D.A.N.) campaigned for
accessible buses so disabled people were free to travel, like everyone else
and for the right to live independently in the community, like everyone
else. We won those battles. Now meet our Anti-Poverty Campaign:

New Labour's proposed Welfare Reforms now threaten to force disabled people
into poverty. D.A.N. SAYS NO.

NO to being forced off benefits into low-paid work.

NO to coercion and to punitive cutting of benefits.

NO to the Poverty Trap for part-time and casual work.

NO to disabled people being portrayed as scroungers.

NO to care charges. NO to their hands in our pockets.

Dear Margaret Hotch-Potch

WHY are we on Incapacity Benefit in the first place? WHY did we lose our
jobs when we became disabled? WHY do employers train someone new, rather
than enable someone who knows the job to carry on working?

WHY is the media full of Incapacity Benefit Fraud stories? WHY are we the
new scapegoats?

WHY does New Labour assume it is full-time, long-term work we want, are
capable of doing and is available?

Many disabled people have fluctuating conditions. We get medical
appointments. We need Personal Assistants. If we work, our work patterns
need to revolve around this.

Change The Job Not The Worker!

D.A.N. SAYS YES
The Disabled People's Movement agrees meaningful jobs are a key to disabled
people escaping out of poverty.

D.A.N. therefore also says YES! YES to a flexible and realistic approach to
all the issues of work and benefits.

YES to disabled people's freedom to choose work.

YES to a fully comprehensive Civil Rights Bill

YES to ending discrimination against disabled people

YES to meeting in full all the extra costs of disability.

YES to ending poverty for disabled people now.

To find out more about D.A.N. or the action contact

FREEOURPEOPLE

Yours Sincerely

Mr Colin Revell, Hull and East Riding Disabled People movement and member
and representative of Disabled People's Action Network(DAN) and local,
national and international human rights and civil liberties professional
'user-led' autistic/neurodiverse disabled people's campaigner, survivor,
educator, advisor, (peer) advocate and researcher

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]

Archives and tools are located at: