Dear Members,

We are creating relational database (MySQL) to map DC Metadata schema. We
need to indicate the holding for some journals. Holdings may be a range
(ex. 1995 - 2005) when we started and stopped subscription or, most often,
the date from resource became available till the present time. According
to the specifications at
http://dublincore.org/documents/2005/11/07/usageguide/qualifiers.shtml,

the DC Element "Date" has following possible refinements (qualifiers)

Created
Valid
Available
Issued
Modified
Date Accepted
Date Copyrighted
Date Submitted

Available seems to be a good choice, as per
http://dublincore.org/documents/usageguide/qualifiers.shtml#available,
"Available" is a date (often a range) that the resource will become or did
become available.

My question, however, is:
While entering the Date.available to MySQL table, we could use the text
column and enter it simply as "Available 1995 - 2005" or "Available from
1995 -- ", etc.
But I think everyone agrees that is not the best approach. Date element
should be represented by "Date" MySQL (or other Database) column data
type. We are tempted to add our own qualifiers, such as "availableStart"
and "availableEnd", but wish to use standard qualifiers only for
interoperability reason.

I am sure that the problem we are facing is not unique. If someone is
willing to share, we will greatly appreciate it,

Many thanks in advance,

Vlad

Vladimir Makarov
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Library
1275 York Ave
New York, NY 10021
Tel: 212-639-7422
Fax: 212-717-3048