Apologies- I didn't realise that attachments wouldn't work on the mailing
list. Here are the details and CFP

EMERGING GEOGRAPHIES OF BELIEF

Thursday 14th- Friday 15th September 2006

The Cultural and Historical Geography Research Group
School of Geography, Archaeology and Earth Resources
The University of Exeter

Convenors Dr. Adrian R. Bailey, Dr. Catherine Brace, Dr. Sean Carter, Dr.
David C. Harvey, Dr. Jude Hill, Dr. Pau Obrador Pons, Dr. Nicola Thomas.

Keynote Speaker: Professor Lily Kong, University of Singapore.

Themes:
This interdisciplinary symposium seeks to bring together new research that
explores questions of knowledge, belief, ethos and religion. Participants will
include researchers and practioners whose work focuses on theoretically
informed cultural and historical analyses of religion, society and space. The
aim is to create a forum for the presentation of work in progress, focusing on
new or revised theoretical approaches and methodologies.

Recent research into religious faith and practice has focused on the complex
interactions of the political and poetic dimensions of sacredness in
contemporary societies. Taking this research agenda forward, the aim of the
conference is to understand how religious and secular beliefs inform and
construct social identities, public knowledge and modes of governance.  In
particular, there is an urgent need for a critical understanding of how terms
such as 'religion', 'faith', 'fundamentalism' and 'secularism', for example,
inform public debates and foster constructive engagements with faith groups.
Moreover, we welcome research that explores the mediation and articulation of
beliefs, religious identities and instutional frameworks, through a specific
focus on narrative forms, theological doctrines, material practices, forms of
embodiment, performance and affectivity. With reference to these general aims,
we invite contributions that address the following themes:

· Citizenship and religious education;
· Geopolitics and religious belief;
· The body, affect, and performance;
· Participatory research with religious groups & faith based organisations
· Materialities of belief;
· Landscapes, belief and credulity;

Papers in the first instance, should take the form of an abstract of no more
than 250 words. These should be emailed to Dr. Adrian R. Bailey
([log in to unmask]). The Deadline for submission is 12th June 2006.  The
selection committee will inform authors of the decision by 1st July 2006.

This conference is FREE to all participants. Please also note that we will pay
reasonable travel costs for all speakers.

For further information, contact Dr Adrian R. Bailey ([log in to unmask]).