I am looking at a site under Part IIA and I am developing a list of contaminants that may be present.  I have consulted the DoE IP's and CLR8 for potential contaminants.

However, given the age of the site (late 19th, early 20th century), the DoE IPs state that only creosote compounds are likely to be found as C-C-A compounds didn't begin to be used till the 1930's.  I also doubt some of the more 'exotic' contaminants will be present.

Has anyone done any works on a site this age before and what sort of contaminants of concern did they come across?

I am also looking at PAHs as the site was a steam saw mill so there are likely to be ashes buried on site; any help appreciated!

Jon

Jonathon Parr

Public Protection Officer [Contaminated Land]

Environmental Protection

Environmental Services

Blackpool Borough Council

125 Albert Road

Blackpool

FY1 4PW

Tel: (01253) 478318

Fax: (01253) 478396

Email Disclaimer is:
http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/EmailDisclaimer/
This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange as part of the Council's e-mail and internet policy.