From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Penny Priest
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 8:08 AM
Subject: On a few technical notes

Hello everyone
I just wanted to point out that, in the midst of all the recent exchanges, I have sometimes received replies to postings, before I see the original posting, which can be quite confusing, obviously, as I sometimes find myself reading something, perhaps an angry response, but don't know what it's in response to. I just wanted to point this out to everyone, because I think it happened recently to Dawn.
I've also been a bit confused by a couple of Michael's (Swindlehurst) postings which have begun 'Michael' or 'Thank you Michael', but on reflection I think you're just saying it's you here, Michael? Or are you?
Aside from technicalities, I have been intrigued by my own and others' responses to Sue. These heated exchanges all began following Henry's posting about Mindfulness training, which I thought was a little strange turning up on this list (although I could imagine how mindfulness would fit it, but I do object to the current fashion of marketing it as a therapy - if people want to practice mindfulness, I would encourage them to join a Sangha). I then noticed the discussion swinging round to Sue's experience of doing research, which was elaborated on at Petra's invitation. Every time I logged onto my email over the last few days, I kept thinking the spammers had got hold of me again, before I saw my inbox and that it was this list instead, with many of the postings from Sue. Part of me thinks this is Sue's issue and nothing really to do with me, and whilst Paul seemed insulted on Rachael's behalf, it's not really Rachael that Sue is attacking, but the people Sue had to deal with when she was doing her research. Maybe that's no excuse for rudeness, but isn't that what happens sometimes when people get angry? Another part of me thinks in some ways it's almost refreshing to have some gut reactions on this list, instead of it all being dressed up terribly nicely and politely.
I did wonder whether there was a male/female thing going on too, but it does seem that Paul and Michael at least are taking quite different positions.
Anyway, for what it's worth, this posting comes with love from:
a mother, sister, daughter, beginner-surfer, prize-winning fell-runner, former teacher, pissed-again pop-star (once supported Nina Simone), clinical psychologist, mainly heterosexual, angry woman (this is just how I see myself at the moment).

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.