I agree, though I didn't compromise myself or the research. The women, who had been married and were now single-again, were now lesbians, heterosexual, bisexual, and besides that, not all them "had" a sexuality.

Sue McPherson
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Petra Boynton
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Talking of talking

I absolutely agree Mike.
So often research is a trade off between a good idea and something that ends up happening.  I think many academics and service users have written about how research gets 'cleaned up' from doing it to writing about it, but I think the 'cleaning up' or transformational process continues throughout.

Sometimes I think that this is a good thing, it's an inevitable part of research and it's only the way we're taught about methods that makes us feel like we've done something wrong if we have to change tack.  However more often I feel that I compromise myself in research, feeling forced to study topics that'll attract funding or get a good publication rather than what I really want to do.  So as a result I end to do the funded stuff at work and the other stuff in my own time - not ideal but I bet many of us are in that position.  Perhaps ways to challenge or cope with this could be another topic of discussion?

I also agree that research methods books (for the main) tell us 'what to do, not how to do it' - a bit like the average self help book, they set out everything you should be doing but they don't give you any practical tips on how to achieve it.  There are some exceptions and maybe people could contribute their favourites to this list?  I'd particularly appreciate this since my main job is running and teaching research in community settings in different countries and it's vital to have some really practical resources to recommend.

My feeling is often we assume it is the researcher who decides what method to pick, but this rarely is the case.  I always feel it's your participants who really should select or inform the method you choose, but try telling that to most traditional academics :-)

I'd like to hear more from others about how they balance the 'doing' of research with all the other constraints.  Currently for me if I want to get funding I have to have my idea approved before it can even be considered for funding - the implications on community research here are vast.

PB