From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 April 2006 18:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] May 2006 Two Counselling Trainings in Association with...

Maybe the comment reflected disillusionment with the system. Even psychotherapy and counselling of all kinds can only work if material needs of the client are being met. Or maybe he didn't mean it the wa it came out.

anyway, my view on this:

I have been through all the kinds of insecurities mentioned in the course outline, and I am beginning to see now that some of the therapy I received years ago was from people who probably didn't have much of a comprehension of the way the world works. One still needs family support, or a community, or at least a few people to recognize one's worth or none of one's efforts are going to come to anything. Patients/clients gaining mindfulness of their own self is only part of what is needed.

Youg women, it seems to me, have to be preparred to use their sexual attributes if they want to get ahead, or already be married to the right person. The way it is in today's world, we have people who have the careers in such topics as "mindfulness" interpreting the lives of those without the careers. That's what the world seems to have boiled down to, in my view. I guess I've just met too many people who perhaps shouldn't be doing what they do and I wonder how they get their jobs.

I am also concerned with the wording of the program of the course. It seems to suggest that if the client doesn't make it in life it is their fault. The idea that we can be at ease with ourselves and the life experience in this world is surely related to middle class-ness.

 I'm wondering if people who take the course have a sense of their own self before they take the course. Hopefully they are coming to it with other kinds of understanding of the world. And are not taking it just for the money it will bring in for them.

    yours,

Sue McPherson