The criticism that Rachael should not have included her 'credentials' on her
first posting to the list was completely misguided in my view. Rachael was
actually making the point that academics are not the experts. As such, by
stating her university affiliation she was surely positioning herself as a
non-expert. Before Rachael barely had time to reply to the rebuke she
received, a further one was added to the list stating "And before you write
back and say you are only a student let me tell you, when I was a student I
was treated a helluva lot better in this world than I am now. " I just found
that condescending, rude and disrespectful. We cannot presume to know what
someone will say in reply to a posting nor presume to know another list
member's social history or life experiences based on the social identity
they have chosen and/or had imposed upon them. It is sadly ironic that
Rachael stated that her contribution was the first one she had made to the
list because, among other reasons, she was worried that she might be
misunderstood. How right she was to be fearful. In the first replies she
recieved it was clear to me that neither were her worries about posting to
the list taken into account nor the content of her message understood.

There, I have said my piece. Discussion has already moved on to the next
target, which might temporarily be a social system or a social institutions,
but may well default back to attacking an individual who will find
themselves in the firing line as the list once again resembles more a jerry
springer franchise than a space where people can engage critically with
understanding the ways our social systems and social institutions effect our
lives and how our lives effect our social systems and our social
institutions.... That's my reason for being silent lately...

paul
an academic