I hope these issues will be discussed at the conference.  Sadly I can't go but if people are interested the conference site can be accessed here: http://www.le.ac.uk/pc/QRM

I'd be interested to hear more about the mental health foundation's work - do they produce specific training resources for user researchers?

PB

At 14:53 28/04/2006, you wrote:
hi petra

your mail about research methods reminded me that there is a conference on 'qualitative research and marginalisation' next week.  perhaps some of the issues you raised will be discussed there?

the second example you gave, about the impact of research interviews on researchers also reminded me of the mental health foundation's work supporting user-led research projects.  as i understand it, the support they offer their researchers accounts for the impact of the research process as a whole as well as academic 'super'vision.

suzanne
-----Original Message-----
From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Petra Boynton
Sent: 27 April 2006 11:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Talking of talking

Here's one example.  Some people assume some methods (usually quantitative ones) are inherently oppressive or problematic.  For example a questionnaire may force people to select a particular answer.  Other methods (more often qualitative ones), may be seen as more open or fair.  However for some participants and researchers dealing with some topics action research may feel quite invasive.

Two examples (since the above is rather vague) in one piece of community research colleagues and myself were involved in on sex workers we were commissioned to run interviews with sex workers.  We had little success and discovered from the women we were working with that an 'interview' was something they saw  as tools used by journalists and the police.  We asked them what method they'd prefer, they said 'questionnaires' because they could tick things without having to reveal as much of themselves.  (This picks up on Mike's message about choosing methods which I'll tackle in another email).  It presented a number of dilemmas - we wanted to include participants and work to suit their needs, we also needed to collect data to answer questions (and keep a funding body happy), yet the researchers felt they'd been taught qualtiative research was better in this situation and were worried about using questionnaires.

The second example moves beyond participants and methods and looks at researchers.  A colleague ran a study of mental health service users experiences of using their GP.  Existing service users were trained up to be part of an action research study.  However, whilst all the methodological bases were covered, nobody really thought to monitor the daily experiences of discussing mental distress with other service users.  Several of the service user researchers found this difficult, distressing and felt they had 'failed' as researchers but also felt distressed outside of work.

So I suppose what I'm interested in unpacking is all that hidden stuff behind methods - the practical aspects of research, the safety and wellbeing of everyone concerned in a study, as well as really critically evaluating the methods we 'use' because sometimes we well meaningly pick a method that our participants don't like.

PB