I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If your project is called abc so your
top-level project file is called abc.xml, then because not much changes at
the top-level it is often the case that your last official save of the
project and the current backup are the same, i.e. it is not unusual if
abc.xml and abc.xml.bac are the same.  But if you've done some Nmr work
since the last official save (and there has been an auto backup since)
then you would expect that abc/ccp/Nmr.xml to be different than
your_backup_directory/ccp/Nmr.xml.bac (your_backup_directory could well be
abc, so that would then be abc/ccp/Nmr.xml.bac).  Are Nmr.xml and
Nmr.xml.bac the same?  That would be surprising (if you haven't saved
recently, that is).

Wayne