-----Original Message-----
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Aaron Cheak
Sent: 04 April 2006 16:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Sethain

Oh, and as to the reasons ...

Aquino *wants* the Temple of Set (ToS) to proceed under new leadership; he
intends the ToS to continue after the death of its founder (i.e. Aquino).
Hence Don Webb, hence Zeena, hence Patty Hardy. Thus, it is quite likely
that Aquino would not have reassumed his High Priest mantle if the Schrecks
didn't cause the schism they did. Upon finding a suitable new High
Priestess, Aquino seems to have stepped down again.

Zeena, however, claims that as much as Aquino was willing to hand over the
reigns (e.g. to her), he still exercised control over the ToS by means of
behind the scenes politicking (primarily through the Council of Nine). This
position would appear to be supported by the wealth of correspondence that
transpired behind the scenes at the time of the Schrecks' schism.

Further to the differences between the Church of Satan (CoS), ToS and the
Storm (which I mentioned only in brief in a previous post) ...

These are self-evident as soon as one compares LaVey's _Satanic Bible_,
Aquino's "Black Magic" essay in _The Crystal Tablet of Set_, and the
Schrecks' _Demons of the Flesh_. The divergences are in fact quite drastic.
LaVey is barely interested in Seth or the Left Hand Path other than as
diabolical synonyms. He is interested in the ego and it's gratification.
Man is a natural animal. Aquino thinks the left hand path (LHP) is
consistent with Socratic contemplation of eternal forms, and that Seth is
himself the very form of isolate self consciousness which enables the
contemplation of said forms. He is interested in the Self (with a capital
S). Man (or rather, his psyche or soul) is non-natural. The Schrecks
emphasise the feminine nature of the LHP and Seth's role as a violent
initiator. They are interested in cultivating non-dual consciousness to
effect liberation---the same goal as the right hand path---but through
left-handed *means*. [1] Man---the physical body---holds the energies
(Shakti, kundalini) necessary to liberation.

[1] This is a fundamental difference between the ToS and the Storm: The ToS
define the left and right hand paths as having different *ends* (LHP =
separation of Self from Nature; RHP = union of Self with Nature). The Storm
sees the left and right hand paths as both seeking the same end
(liberation); the paths differ only in the *means* employed towards this
end (the left hand path effects liberation in this life, is dangerous, is
taboo breaking; the right hand path effects liberation over many
incarnations, is safe, is orthodox). Also, whereas the ToS seeks to exalt
the Self of Psyche against the natural cosmos, the Storm seeks to dissolve
the ego/Self/intellect to effect a non-dual relationship with the cosmos.
Also, for the ToS the cosmos is a dead mechanism (as per scientific
materialism); for the Storm it is living and animated (as per the tantric
notion of the world as power/Shakti/prakrti)

More could be said. I've only touched on some very basic points.

~ Aaron