"Robert of Chaise-Dieu (d. 1067)  Robert, a noble from Auvergne, was raised
to become a canon of St. Julian, Brioude.  But R. grew discontent with the
life there.  He thought of becoming a monk of Cluny, but was talked out of
it.  He went on pilgrimage to Rome and on his return became a hermit.
There, R. attracted so many disciples that he had to found a monastery for
them, the abbey of Chaise-Dieu, in 1043.  The place became so popular that
R. went on to found a large number of daughter houses.  R. was canonized in
1070."

The former abbatiale there has a most remarkable set of tapestries in the
choir. A friend has a complete set of pictures of them in an on-line album.
Contact me off-list and I'll send her your e-mail address if you'd like to
see them.
MG

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]