Call for papers for a special issue of the Canadian Journal of Sociology

"Globalizing Sociology"

Guest editors: Dimitri della Faille (UQAM) and Neil  McLaughlin (McMaster)

The present historical moment is, for many scholars and public
intellectuals, a time of internationalization or globalization. This call
for a special issue of the Canadian Journal of Sociology seeks to address
these processes of globalization as they shape and transform sociology
itself. We are particularly interested in papers that address the growth of
the geographical range of the object of Sociology and the implications of
globalization for the very notion of distinct national sociological
traditions. We would like to see papers raising normative, epistemological
and even larger visionary concerns. What might a truly global sociology look
like? What conceptual, theoretical,methodological, epistemological
innovations and critique would be necessary to move beyond an exclusively
Western focus? What alternative traditions might we  consider, as we attempt
to build a global sociology for the 21st century. Empirical and theoretical
papers on these broad concerns are welcome, as are specific case studies of
national, regional, and global sociologies.

Papers either in French and in English will be considered for publication.
Authors should submit their texts to: Dimitri della Faille
([log in to unmask]), Neil McLaughlin ([log in to unmask]) and
[log in to unmask] by August 31st 2006.

The papers should be prepared according to the CJS guidelines for
manuscripts: http://www.cjsonline.ca/submnfo.html

Dr. Neil G. McLaughlin
Associate Professor
Sociology, McMaster University