We have bought,  but haven't yet setup (It would be a good student project! )
one of these  "Goose"  boxes:

http://www.itwatchdogs.com/wxgoos-instructions.shtml

which has line drivers to allow one to setup a network of the
one-wire sensors...the individual sensors are pretty cheap
(but it took about 3 months to order a box of 100 from the US)

cheers,
Alex

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:33, David Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> By chance a DIY article "How cool is Perl" by Michael Schilli in Issue 55
> of Linux Magazine April 2006 has an article about temperature sensing.
>
> The article is not on the web yet but the gist is
>
> Solder a DS18S20 temperature sensor to a cable with an RJ11 plug at the
> other end. The plug goes into a DS9490R USB dongle which is accessed under
> Linux using sourceforge projects owfs, fuse and swig. The published
> magazine code is already online at
>
>   http://www.linux-magazine.com/Magazine/Downloads/65/Perl
>
> Not exactly Data Centre grade but perhaps plausible at smaller sites.
>
> I had previously googled for something to defend our clusters against
> marginal air conditioning and ended up down the road in Stirling.
> See
>   http://www.linux-usb-daq.co.uk/howto2/temperature
>
> There are probably lots more alternatives out there

|  Dr. Alex Martin                                                           |
|  e-Mail:   [log in to unmask]        Queen Mary, University of London,  |
|  Phone :   +44-(0)20-7882-5033          Mile End Road,                     |
|  Fax   :   +44-(0)20-8981-9465          London, UK   E1 4NS                |