Some interesting (and amusing) conceptions, though I suspect the CCTV
employees I have come across in my research would most probably prefer the
(more positive) term 'multitaskers' to describe their role in the system
e.g. watchers, reviewers, interpretators, controllers, employees,
communicators, team workers, sign readers, intelligence gatherers and so
on. One has to be careful when describing such a group, as it is quite easy
to use an adjective which is either too narrow in scope, or heavily
underpinned with overly negative connotations. I myself quite like the idea
of starting with the more neutral system 'overseers', 'operators' or
'operatives' terminology, leaving one to then systematically
unpack/describe the various formal/informal actions and roles the
aforementioned perform.

Gavin

At 19:49 10/03/2006 +0200, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This is amusing ­ and challenging! Given that in Finnish language the verb
>‘valvoa’ has two parallel meanings, to be awake/stay up and to
>oversee/supervise, a guard who’s having a nap is a contradiction in terms.
>Which of course doesn’t mean that we have no ‘sleeper-peepers’ here...
>
>Maybe we should call them ‘stay ups’ to emphasise the sexist motives which
>are included in the business anyway ;-)
>
>Sorry! Seems it’s not my most serious day today. What about ‘onlooker’?
>Someone who watches and sees but simultaneously is somehow aside. Some
>Foucauldian neologisms could also be developed. Wannabe discipliner?
>

>- hille
>

>***
>Hille Koskela
>Senior Lecturer