RE: Glossary definition of "regular use"
Thanks Paul.

I do agree with what you are saying but I can foresee an issue with it - cost.

If University of Berkley research is even remotely accurate it is quite scary. It reports that organisations hold about 80% duplicate material. If 80% of the very high cost of managing and backing up our information is just to hold convenience copies then I need to find ways of reducing the volume at least and maybe identifying what is left and moving it to cheaper storage and backup. In my view people will always create duplicates because they can, not necessarily because they need to. So how do I convince them to do otherwise? The tack we are taking is education around the costs and some procedures around managing those convenience copies that do exist.

I think there is always an interesting tension between RM principles and business needs and drivers; finding innovative ways of reconciling them is the fun part!

Regards,

Susan

Susan Mansfield
Records Manager