Dear Spongers,

I would like to alert you to an article we have recently published:

Thoms, C.; Ebel, R.; Proksch, P. (2006) Activated chemical defense in Aplysina sponges revisited. Journal of Chemical Ecology 32 (1): 97-123.

Abstract in brief: In 1993 we reported a wound-activated cleavage of isoxazoline alkaloids to aeroplysinin-1 and dienone in sponges of the genus Aplysina. Based on the results of a series of further experiments we suggested that this conversion is an activated chemical defense against microbial infection of the wounded sponge. A recent study, however, introduced doubt regarding the presence of a wound-activated bioconversion in Aplysina spp.. This motivated us to carefully reinvestigate the fate of brominated alkaloids in Aplysina sponges following tissue damage.

I would be very happy to discuss the results of this study with you, so please feel free to send me any questions or comments regarding our work. If you don’t have access to the article on the web, please contact me for a pdf ( [log in to unmask] ).

Moreover, I would like to let you know about some of our earlier publications and would be happy to send you pdfs and discuss questions about them with you:

Thoms, C.; Schupp, P. (2005) Biotechnological potential of marine sponges and their associated bacteria as producers of new pharmaceuticals (part II). Journal of International Biotechnology Law 2 (6): 257-264.

Thoms, C.; Schupp, P. (2005) Biotechnological potential of marine sponges and their associated bacteria as producers of new pharmaceuticals (part I). Journal of International Biotechnology Law 2 (5): 217-220.

Thoms, C.; Wolff, M.; K. Padmakumar; Ebel, R.; Proksch, P. (2004) Chemical defense of Mediterranean sponges Aplysina cavernicola and Aplysina aerophoba. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung – Journal of Biosciences 59c (1/2): 113-122.

Thoms, C.; Horn, M.; Wagner, M.; Hentschel, U.; Proksch, P. (2003) Monitoring microbial diversity and natural product profiles of the sponge Aplysina cavernicola following transplantation. Marine Biology 142: 685-692.

Thoms, C.; Ebel, R.; Hentschel, U.; Proksch, P. (2003) Sequestration of dietary alkaloids by the spongivorous marine mollusc Tylodina perversa. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung – Journal of Biosciences 58c (5/6): 426-432.

Looking forward to your comments, questions and pdf requests,

                                                          Carsten

Carsten Thoms, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
University of Guam Marine Lab