It is not just Irish or Welsh.

My girlfriend never learned Polish (her parents spoke/speak it) because
if she'd learned Polish it would mark her as a "DP."

I don't think my father knew Yiddish but my mother spoke it, as did her
sisters.  It was spoken at a distance and never explained to me.  Nobody
wanted me marked as a Jew and/or a "greenhorn."  The words I managed to
learn were filthy and the product of the street.

So there went our heritages, Marie's and mine, into the common European
Shame Pool aka The Memory Hole aka Assimilation.

I feel cheated.

Ken
Ken Wolman
Miercom