Fascinating, Roger, & of great interest to me, as I have long wondered
what I would mean by the term. On the other hand, I do seem to be
trying to get away from self-knowledge into a space where things happen
without the kind of self-regard that too often accompanies *my*
attempts at it....

Doug
On 12-Mar-06, at 1:46 PM, Roger Day wrote:

> "Self-knowledge protects us from inspiration; inspiration, like sexual
> desire, undoes us. For non-believers, inspiration is more like sexual
> desire than anything else; a fascination, a fear, and something we
> think of as having a secret solitary pleasure attached to it."
>
> umm. this is the opposite for me. All my recent poetry has been built
> on self-knowledge, the results of analysis, the playing out of
> metaphors gained thereof.
>
> Inspiration for me is a stone-cold killer. I have no emotion when it
> comes. the less emotion the better. I view it as a third party, a dead
> fish. If I do feel in that moment, or past the moment, then I know the
> result is crap. If I have *any feeling at all for the subject, no
> matter how personal, then I cannot become, be that subject. I have to
> reduce the positivity to a minimum. This is true for me whether it's
> poetry - a concentration state of epic proportions - or
> drawing/painting.
>
> No matter my feelings for the subject, I have to lose it for the work.
> It's a matter of shapes, landscape, metaphor, analogy, words. If I
> have any pre-conceptions, a view of the I of the subject, a connection
> with the subject, then the drawing/poem fails, descends into
> sentiment, and I've been there but only deliberately.  I hope.
>
> I can see parallels with Doug saying "lose the pronouns". I'm in the
> business of distancing btn myself and the subject. A ship that lets go
> the tugs, and enters the ocean.
>
> Anything that gets in the way only lessens the impact of the result.
>
> Roger
Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320

What’s received’s given out
in smaller measure. The speaker as hearer
comprehends what he can’t
say, a music of what sounds him.

			Wayne Clifford