Right on to all that, Alison - (out of context of the actual exchange on which I make no comment)

Good on you

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Alison Croggon <[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:53 PM
  Subject: Feminism: an aside (was Re: Help! The grass is singing)

  Maybe if we can get rape convictions up above a world average of 2.7 per
  cent (less than 1 per cent in Britain) a result, as is generally agreed, of
  the structural bias of the justice system, we can talk about self
  indulgence. Maybe if women's salaries weren't on average 15 per cent lower
  than men's, even for the same work, we could talk about self indulgence.
  Maybe if 77 per cent of domestic violence murders were not men killing
  women, we could talk about self indulgence.

  And here's a good quote on the so-called "equality" of violence between
  women and men from Pru Goward, Australia's Sex Discrimination Officer:

  Involving men in anti-violence work can be difficult however,  because some
  men believe that women beat men as often as men beat women.  They argue
  domestic violence campaigns are the work of men-hating  feminists. This is
  despite official homicide figures which demonstrate  that 77% of murders in
  Australia  between intimate partners involve a man killing a woman; 21%
  involve a woman  killing a man. One government survey found that 50.5% of
  women victims  reported being physically hurt compared with 1.5% of men.

  While it is clear that claims of Œequalı amounts and types of  violence are
  at best mistaken and at worst malevolent, anyone involving  themselves in
  this campaign should anticipate this response and be ready to  stand their
  ground.

  Of course domestic violence with women as perpetrators,  slapping, hitting,
  even stabbing, must be acknowledged. The verbal bullying frequently
  associated  with women, the cold treatment, the stories of men being
  physically harassed by  women, are all on the continuum of domestic
  violence. But they are not murder.

  The point to make is this: being anti-violence against women  does not mean
  you are pro-violence towards men, or that you do not support the  prevention
  of violence against men or support for male victims. One does not preclude
  the other, but we must  always acknowledge the evidence, which shows it is
  overwhelmingly the case that  women are more likely to be victims, and men
  more likely to be perpetrators.
  Men have a stake in their effort to tackle violence against  women because ­
  as UNIFEM points out ­ some  menıs violence against women gives all  men a
  bad name.

  By doing nothing, men give their tacit approval of violence  against women,
  and in doing so they diminish the status of men as well as the  status of
  women.

  Alison Croggon

  Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com
  Editor, Masthead:  http://masthead.net.au