nope, Steve — in French pregant wld have been "je suis enceinte."
what you said "je suis plein"  announced that you were loaded to the
gills, drunk out of your skull, wasted. -- Pierre

On Mar 27, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Stephen Vincent wrote:

>> I just spoke to a friend who's newly pregnant, and I heard myself
>> using the phrase "with child." Seems an interesting locution. Unknown
>> in latin languages--the French are full when pregnant (and satisfied
>> after a meal), for instance.
> In my rather intimate experience in this matter, the French either
> frown or
> laugh at the expression, "Je suis plein", after a good meal. One
> formally
> says, "J'ai bien mange." (with an accent).
>
> I learned this first as an exchange student in Normandy - sitting
> between my
> 16 and 18 year old 'sisters' (already infatuated, as it were) - at
> the end
> of my first lunch and announcing to one and all, "Je suis plein."
> The girls
> blushed and the parents looked confused at my whacky French.
> Only later to learn from the sisters that I had announced that I was
> pregnant. My turn to blush.
>
> Oh well - all artists - at least occasionally - on some level or
> other "are
> pregnant." I guess I was precocious!
>
> Stephen V

"Blasphemy is a victimless crime." -- a t-shirt sent to Salman
Rushdie in the days of the Satanic Verses fatwa.
Pierre Joris
244 Elm Street
Albany NY 12202
h: 518 426 0433