I've thought about this and have reached a conclusion which I claim is
universally valid for me:  it's a false dichotomy.   Campion is
entrancing the first time you read him, and Donne is confusing the
first time you read him, but they are both great poets.  Blake's
lyrics, which are accessible, are better than his epics, which are
inaccessible.  Early Pound is more accessible than late Pound but not
as good.  The first three hundred lines of Paradise Lost are a lot
more accessible than the rest and a lot better.  It works ever wich
way without no correlation.   It's not always even entirely clear what
accessibility means.  Emily Dickinson is quite accessible on first
reading to any adolescent, but you have to read her for decades to
understand what she's really doing.

Some people may argue that accessibility means how easy it is to get
behind the surface technique to a poem's intellectual content.  But
the intellectual content of poetry is always just  a bunch of junk
anyway.