From: "Dominic Fox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: Creeley poem

It's not uncommon in this part of the world for people to address the
driver of, e.g. a bus, as "drive" - as in saying "cheers, drive!" when
getting off the bus. So it's also possible to read the "drive" in the
last section in the vocative.

It's intuitive to take the break between the sections as indicating a
shift in speaker; but I guess another way to hear the break is as an
unvoiced "y'know, really..." - the first speaker is getting carried
away, imagining what it might be like to "buy a goddamn big
car...y'know, really...*drive*", maybe taking his hands off the wheel
and waving them around to indicate the expansiveness of the concept.
At which point "John" interrupts...

Dominic

--
Shall we be pure or impure? Today