> My trouble is - if i pursue "grass" as a metaphor it will go everywhere and
> i'd e the hopeless & hapless mower -
>
> Edmund

Then, again, instead of 'hopeless & hapless" it may be a wonderful, ever
unfolding, generous - continuously energized - journey.
Why this demand, insistence on closure? (or is this desire education,
dissertation proscribed??)

Edmund, I like the comparisons of Whitman to Rez (the urban Whitman, in my
reading of him) as different from Mr. Melancholy Inc.  - tho, given the huge
sale of Prozac in this country, Eliot, too, ain't probably far off a very
real  indigenous cultural mark. Just in the way I suspect Larkin - like him
or not - speaks to an English melancholy that, too, may be epidemic.

Stephen V