From: "Edmund Hardy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:29 AM
Subject: Re: Snap/3-15-06--"The God Thing"

so it's Oscar! It seems to be one of those catchy phrases that afterwards
other people say & it gets attributed all over the place - this from an
article googled on anti-Americanism:

Recall how French statesman Georges Clemenceau echoed Linguet's slur in the
early 20th century by sneering, "America is the only nation in history which
miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the
usual interval of civilization."