On 18/3/06 2:56 AM, "Douglas Barbour" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I tend to agree with this, but there are some marvelous exceptions.
> Among my 'contemporaries' (by which I mean people still writing today),
> I'd mention the Canadian Margaret Avison, one of our finest poets, &, I
> think she fits, Fanny Howe.
>
> There are probably others, though few as good as these two.

The other name that strikes me is RS Thomas - a wonderful religious poet,
especially in his later books. Much underestimated, I think. Though he's
dead, he died not so long ago... And Les Murray dedicates all his books "To
The Glory Of God", being a Catholic convert. I think of things like The
Broad Bean Sermon or that amazing poem about electric shock (The Power Line
Invocation?) or that amazing series about animals in Translations from the
Natural World as religious poems.

There's probably quite a lot of it about.

Best

Alison Croggon

Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com
Editor, Masthead:  http://masthead.net.au