This is confusing two different strands of atgument, I think. I was
pointing out to Dave the relevance of Williams in the US in the
simplest possible terms. But what I've been talking about at some
length isn't a question of discipleship, but of dialogue. I'm in
dialogue with Marvell, not with Eliot, and I think many are actively
in dialogue with Hopkins--he still matters, in that sense, to poets.
As to other media, I can't speak for painters, but I assume my
relationship to Rothko is different than theirs--he matters differently for me.

A musical analogy. The Wagner-Brahms war, in which everyone took
sides, is long over. The composers I know like Brahms, but they tell
me he's irrelevant to their practice. Wagner is apparently still relevant.

So it's a question of usefulness, as in, I go to this or that artist
to learn, but also usefulness as audience and colleague--I'm speaking to them.

My sense is that artists tend to value earlier artists who are part
of their internal audience--that when a poet says he loves this or
that other poet's work what he means is that he finds it useful in
this way. We're simply in a different relationship to Eliot, or
Chaucer, or the Gilgamesh epic than non-poets are.

Not particularly unusual. I have a cabinet-maker friend. His
appreciation of a piece of carpentry is vastly different from mine. I
learn from his eye, see more than I once did, but it's still not the
same. Even if I did an apprentice-piece it would remain different--my
friend has been through the refinement of his awareness through
thirty years of practicing and improving his craft. When he looks at
a nicely-made piece he not only dopes out how it was made, but feels
the process.

As to your little red herring, I presume you're aware that sex is
more fun with some than with others. It's better, in my experience,
when it's in dialogue.

Mark