And god said, chacun a son gout.

To be serious for a last moment. I think what we're dealing with
here, what I was trying to express, anyway, was that some arguments
still engage us creatively, some not. I am of neither party in
Chaucer's disagreement with the practitioners of aliterative verse,
for instance: I read with equal pleasure, and am equally instructed
by, Langland, Chaucer and the Pearl Poet, who, different as they are,
begin to look more alike than they ever did to their contemporaries.
Likewise Jonson and Donne, etc. But the issues in the divide between
the line of descent that includes Eliot and the lines of descent that
include Pound or Williams are not, I think, resolved, at least not
for me. They simply conceive of the object "poem" and the path to the
discovery of same in very different ways, and that's still contested
ground. It obviously isn't for you or for many others, but I'm hardly
alone in this. In time they too will all probably look more alike
than not. Meanwhile, to stand outside this particular fray is in
itself a way of defining what one's about, I think.

This is part of a discussion that's been going on sporadically on
this list for several years. It's not likely to be resolved this evening.

Mark