Hi Jon,

Been trying to respond to this for what now seems like, and probably is,
months.

I agree that the GENI proposal is not very imaginative. But, whatever you
want to do; whoever you want to set up paths to: the first hurdle is the
PoP bill, so that seems to be covered in their proposal. We would need to
do the same - UK-Light or not, there is still a bill to pay. Then you can
do something real. Seems we've been there before?

> plus the UK already has UK light, and if we talk nicely to ireland,
> they just got some licensed spectrum for research - if we talk nicely
> to Ofcomm, we might get some too...

It's no problem getting a spectrum license: all you need is money. The
funding available will define the limits of what can be done, say if the
license is priced by km-squared of coverage proportional to the total area
of the issuing authority. Once you've got it you have to show you are using
it else the authority may withdraw the license.

On some details, I am generally on the same hymn sheet subject to
continuing discussions, but:

> 2/ a network that is entirely crashproof by proof and DoS resistent by
> design with liability models included as part of interdomain/sla
> (i.e. a competetive multi-provider model still allowed)

We need theory to do this.

Virtualiazable components are within our reach, maybe based on designs GENI
might do. However, I think their expectations on optical interconnect are
well off.

BTW: www.chiaro.com went off the air - anyone know why?

Regards,

Alistair

--
Prof. Alistair Munro, Toshiba Professor of Communications Networks
Dept. Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Bristol University