On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:43:44 -0000, Bryan Maloney wrote:

> also I would like to
> say to john that my granddad worked in Hatfield Main and I grew up
> under its front door, in Stainforth

My group visits were largely to the High Hazel seam, though (very
occasionally) to the Barnsley. (My personal preference was for the
High Hazel :))

Early visits were from an all-boys' secondary school in Hull (Hatfield
Main in the morning, rolling mills in Scunthorpe in the afternoon for
them :)

Later visits were from a mixed comprehensive and were almost always
mixed-sex 16-to-18 year olds going underground at Hatfield Main as the
sole part of their trip out. I viewed trying to educate 6th-formers
(and as often as I could their teachers too) about the importance of
the coal-mining industry and what happened underground as essential
... mining and miners have always needed all the friends they could
get.

I cannot praise enough the kindness and care given by everyone at
Hatfield Main.

John (just back from the second of two days of very loud music in the
company of hundreds of very energetic and enthusiastic teenagers :)
--
John Arrowsmith, voluntary website provider/editor of
http://www.rockchallenge.co.uk for the annual performing-arts