From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Diana Wright
Sent: Mon 20/03/2006 21:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tonsures

I did expect more information from this list than the same old joke
about Julius Caesar.

I have long understood the tonsure to be related to the Roman custom of
shaving the head of a slave.  [The apostle Paul several times identifies
himself as a /doulos/ or slave of Christ.]

There are various formal styles of tonsures, plus a tonsure can -- or
could in the 13th C-- consist of snips of hair taken in the form of a
cross where it might not be immediately practicable to go for a more
drastic form, as when Louis of Anjou took the tonsure while still a hostage.

DW

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]