Bill East wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Catherine Gunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>“Frank Johnson, in the Torygraph, writes that: 'The early Roman
>Catholic church saw Caesar as the precursor of the empire that was to
>spread Christianity across the known world. That is why monks had
>shaven pates, in imitation of Caesar.' First I've heard about it: how
>'bout you?”
>
>Respondeo: Did Caesar shave his pate? Even if he did, I can't imagine it
>had much to do with the monastic tonsure. ODCC: "The cutting of the
>hair, a religious ceremony of many E(astern) peoples, became a generally
>received custom in 4th- and 5th-cent. monasticism and thence was
>introduced into the W(est) as the form of admission into the clerical
>state..." I'm all for rendering unto Caesar that which is Caesar's,
>but I don't think the tonsure was down to him.
>
>Bill.

Caesar famously had a bald patch, which his hairdresser attempted to
counter by sweeping his hair inwards to cover as much of it as possible. He
was rather more impressed by the results than those around him were. I
wonder if this has somehow found its way into the mix?

Gordon

Dr. Gordon Arthur    | Orthodoxy  is my  doxy;  heterodoxy is
[log in to unmask] | another man's doxy. (Bishop Warburton)
                   http://www.ecumenist.org/

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]