My goodness, but we are hostile to millennialist
studies?  Wherefore?  It can't simply be because its
not popular with publishers? Do you contend that there
just is no such thing as millennialism in the past
(disregarding any present relevance it may or may not
have)?  If so, why do you reject it so profoundly?

Do you reject the work of older historians, e.g.
Norman Cohn, as irrelevant or is it just Dr. Landes'
theses you have a problem with?

Curious,
Rod McCaslin

--- John Briggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval
> religion and culture
>
> Rod McCaslin wrote:
> >
> > "Studying millennial obsessions must have seemed a
> > safe career choice in the 1990s, but there was
> always
> > a danger of people losing interest by 2001"
> >
> > So, millenialist studies are only of interest when
> the
> > turn of the millennium is a popular concern?  The
> > historical study of millennialist movements has
> > nothing to offer to our understandings in
> > the broader study of European or World history?
>
> Nothing helpful, it would seem :-)
>
> > Does this hold true about all historical studies
> that
> > are centered around a particular historical
> phenomena?
> > They are only worthwhile at the time of their
> > anniversary?
>
> Don't ask me - try asking publishers.
>
> > As I understood the study- millenarianism,
> > apocalypticism, millennialism, chiliasm- were all
> > attitudes/movements that really had nothing
> > necessarily to do with three zeros at the end of
> > a date.
>
> And nothing to do with current events, of course.
>
> John Briggs

> To join the list, send the message: join
> medieval-religion YOUR NAME
> to: [log in to unmask]
> To leave the list, send the message: leave
> medieval-religion
> to: [log in to unmask]
> In order to report problems or to contact the list's
> owners, write to:

Rod McCaslin
Teacher,World and European History, Centennial High School
Ellicott City, Maryland
Graduate Student UMBC
Historian, St. Andrews Society of Baltimore