This type of response is irritating. On such minor matters there is seldom a
"most common view among NT scholars today," and I know what the various
interpretations are--I am adding my comments to them. Perhaps my being less
than emphatic makes me sound like someone who is lost.  Let me be emphatic
then:

Words being confused for others is a common linguistic occurrence--in English it
is called a misanthrope... er, malaprope. We have people saying "take it for
granite," when the original saying was, "take it for granted." We have people
saying "for all intensive purposes," when the original saying was, "for all
intents and purposes." In the case of the Needle's Eye statement, unlike "take
it for granite" and "all intensive purposes" the statement makes sense as it
is. A camel can't make it through a needle's eye and it a rich man can't get
into heaven. (You're going to tell me yes he can? Okay, but you might as well
deal with the text as it is because a rope can't go through a needle's eye
either.) Either way in this case the Greek explanation doesn't work because
Jesus was not speaking Greek.

What hidden agenda is behind all of this is that during the 20th century (more
so the 19th) no one seemed to deal with a text as it was received.  Everyone
wanted to reconstruct a text. One New Testament commentary on the beatitudes
goes so far as to say, Jesus may have said something like this at one time, but
he definitely did not say any of these.

This is the medieval discussion list--whatever Jesus said, during the middle
ages it was believed that he spoke all the beatitudes as they are recorded in
the Latin Bibles. This requires commentary on the text as it is, regardless of
its alleged prehistory!

--V. K. Inman

Quoting merum <[log in to unmask]>:

> There is a summary of various explanations for this verse on this web page:
> http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm.
> Lamsa's Aramaic explanation was the one most often heard in my graduate and
> post graduate years, but that was a long time ago and I don't know what's
> the most common view among NT scholars today.
>
> Stan Metheny

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]